House Flies Be Gone: 5 Simple Ways to Get Rid of Them
House flies are a common pest that can be found in homes, businesses, and other places. They are not only annoying, but they can also carry diseases. Here are some effective ways of dealing with house flies:
1. Preventative measures
The best way to deal with house flies is to prevent them from getting into your home in the first place. Here are some things you can do to prevent house flies:
- Keep your home clean and free of food and water spills.
- Seal up any cracks or holes in your home’s foundation or exterior walls.
- Keep your trash cans in a covered area.
- Clean up pet waste immediately.
- Plant herbs and flowers that repel flies, such as basil, lavender, and peppermint.
2. Traps and baits
There are a variety of traps and baits that can be used to kill house flies. Some popular options include:
- Sticky traps: These traps are made of a sticky material that flies get stuck to when they land.
- Insecticidal traps: These traps use a combination of light and insecticide to attract and kill flies.
- Baits: These baits are made of food or other substances that attract flies. Once the flies eat the bait, they are killed by the insecticide it contains.
Insecticides can be used to kill house flies, but they should be used as a last resort. Insecticides can be harmful to humans and pets, and they can also pollute the environment. If you do choose to use insecticides, be sure to read and follow the label directions carefully.
4. Natural remedies
There are a number of natural remedies that can be used to repel house flies. Some popular options include:
- Essential oils: Essential oils such as eucalyptus, peppermint, and lavender can be used to make fly-repellent sprays.
- Vinegar: A mixture of vinegar and dish soap can be used to make a fly trap.
- Garlic: Garlic cloves can be crushed and placed in bowls around your home to repel flies.
5. Professional pest control
If you have a severe house fly infestation, you may need to call a professional pest control company. Pest control companies have the knowledge and experience to effectively eliminate house flies from your home.
- If you see a house fly, don’t swat it. This will only spread the germs it carries. Instead, trap it in a jar or cup and release it outside.
- Keep your windows and doors closed when it’s not hot outside. This will prevent flies from entering your home.
- If you have a pet, make sure to clean up its waste immediately. This will help to prevent flies from breeding.
- Check your home for any areas where flies might be breeding. This could include garbage cans, compost piles, and pet food bowls.
- If you have a garden, plant herbs and flowers that repel flies. Some good options include basil, lavender, and peppermint.
By following these tips, you can effectively deal with house flies and keep them out of your home. Remember to use a combination of methods to get the best results. And if you have a severe infestation, don’t hesitate to call a professional pest control company.