Top 10 Solutions to Salvage Spoiled Family Vacations
Planning a family vacation is no easy task as everyone has different interests and expectations. But, with a bit of creativity and compromise, it is possible to find a destination where everyone can have fun.
Here are some tips to plan a successful family vacation:
- Sit together and discuss possible vacation destinations that offer something for everyone, from relaxation spots for dad to adventure opportunities for teens and toddlers’ attractions.
- If no agreement is reached, try the age-old method of drawing straws. The person who picks the shortest straw will randomly select a destination on a family globe while blindfolded. In case the selected place is not feasible, choose the nearest landmass.
- Once a destination is chosen, make the best of it. After all, it’s about spending quality time together. A little planning can help overcome any problems that may arise.
- If your vacation spot is near your relatives, visit them to show your kids their heritage. Elderly relatives can share stories and memories with the teenagers, while toddlers can explore their surroundings.
- If you choose a foreign country, inform your children that it will be an educational and cultural experience that they will cherish forever. Let the kids research the country’s history, culture, and food so that they feel more excited and engaged.
- Plan each day’s itinerary to ensure your family enjoys every moment of their vacation. Staying together and discussing the significance of the places you visit can make the experience more rewarding.
- Encourage your kids to be savvy travellers by packing light so they can wash their clothes on the go. They can use the hotel sink or ask their hosts to do a batch of laundry.
- When travelling by car, let the driver set the pace. Explain to the children that the real fun lies in the destination ahead, so they need to take the necessary precautions before departure.
- Leave your phones behind to avoid distractions and roaming charges. Enjoy the company of your family without interruption, even if the hotel phone service gets disconnected.
- Capture memories with the camera phone but be discreet. Take pictures when no-one is looking or when they are asleep to remember these unguarded moments later.
A family vacation can be a great way to bond and create lifelong memories. By following these guidelines, your family vacation can be a pleasant and memorable experience for everyone involved.