Common gardening tools every landscaper needs
Having the right tools is especially important, for the avid do-it-yourself landscaper. Using tools saves money and time overall. By understanding some of the most common tools used for basic landscaping, you can acquire everything needed to keep your property in the best possible shape.
Rakes, shovels, hand cultivators, and trowels
These are among the most basic of tools when it comes to landscaping. Every home should have these basic implements on hand. They help make about every landscaping endeavor possible.
- Rakes are essential to smooth out planting beds and prepare the ground for things like sod without packing the dirt.
- Shovels to remove the sod and turn the soil, as well as dig the holes necessary for fixtures like trees and hardscape.
- Hand cultivators and trowels allow you to perform minute work that requires more attention to detail. All these tools are necessary for the proper maintenance and care of a landscape.
Shear and Pruners
These tools are used to improve the appearance of trees and woody plants. They restrict plants from encroaching in other areas and promote their overall health. They help maintain a neat appearance, and if you have topiary concerns, they are indispensable in maintaining a set shape.
- Loppers are more effective when pruning thicker branches that are too large for pruners.
- Hand pruners help with the smaller branches and are easier to use.
- Pruning Saws help with the toughest of limbs and branches.
- Hedge Shears facilitate a way for hedges to be trimmed more conscientiously than with gas or electric-powered trimmers (although both types are can make maintaining hedges much easier).
Lawnmowers and weed eaters
These are some of the most obvious and common landscaping tools.
- Mowers are meant to keep the grass at a reasonable height and to keep the lawn healthy and neat. Lawnmowers come with a variety of preset height adjustments thus ensuring an even cut overall.
- Weed whackers are similar to lawnmowers in the trimming department. They are particularly useful when edging or maneuvering in tight spaces. Additionally, weed whackers have option blades designed to eliminate thick brush. It is always useful to have on hand, even if you only use it a few times a year.
A wheelbarrow will always be of infinite use for the devoted landscaper or average gardener. Wheelbarrows are extremely useful for moving needed implements as well as bringing them to their proper places.
They haul dirt, debris and bring in plants. They also make it possible for an individual to transport a load they otherwise would not be able to without its aid. For the avid landscaper, a wheelbarrow is necessary.
Other tools of interest
Of course, many of these tools will not be able to help with all your landscaping tasks. therefore, is important to have a few specialty tools depending upon the features of your landscape.
Regular household tools such as hammers and nails, levels, and drills can be helpful if you have built landscape features like patios, decks, pergolas, and trellises. They can also be useful in building things like containers and creating raised beds.
When you have all the tools necessary to take care of your landscape, then all your hard work will pay off. Acquiring the more common tools can also save you money in the long run, as they can be used reused.
Additionally, most of the more common tools are small making them easier to store in a garage or a shed. As long as they are kept neatly arranged in place, they are easy to get to when needed, and not hard to find.
Lastly, properly maintaining your tools is very important since it ensures that you will be able to properly care for your landscape. Keep them from becoming rusty, and make sure all the necessary maintenance is done before putting them in storage.